CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, August 22, 2008

Authors in the Corner: Mini-View with Linda Joy Singleton

Special treat! Today we have with us Linda Joy Singleton.


Linda Joy Singleton is the author of over 30 books, including STRANGE ENCOUNTERS, THE SEER and soon-2-B-released DEAD GIRL trilogy with Flux Books. She has a supportive husband (who occasionally builds bookshelves) and two great young adults. She considers herself lucky to live in the country in Northern CA with an office that looks out on oaks, pines peacocks and horses. For book news, personal photos and a "True Piggy Tale," check out her website http://www.lindajoysingleton.com/ .

-----------

How did you decide to become an author?

I've had a passion for writing since I was about 8 years old. I wrote for fun up until I was 17, filling notebooks as well as typing stories. I submitted short stories with my father's help when I was in high school and received some kind rejections from magazines. Then I got married too young, got a job and gave up my writing dreams for a decade, until I heard about a local writing conference. Going to that conference revived my dreams and I joined a writing group, later a critique group and within three years I'd sold my first book.

As a child, what did you want to grow up to be?

At first because of my love for animals, I wanted to be a vet. But about age 12, I realized needles and blood was involved, so I decided I could work in an office and be a secretary since I was a fast typist. While I wanted to be a writer, I didn't see how it could happen when I lived in California and publishers were in New York, plus I wasn't able to go to college. Fortunately, by attending writing conferences, writing obsessively and reading constantly, I learned enough to become published.


What’s your greatest influence?

When I was 13, I wrote a fan letter to Margaret Sutton, the author of the Judy Bolton mystery series. My parents had helped me find vintage girl mysteries in secondhand bookstores and I loved them so much I wanted to write my own mystery series. I was thrilled with Margaret Sutton wrote back and our letters continued over 30 years. I met her in person for the first time when she came to my high school graduation party. And years later she put me in touch with other Judy Bolton fans (http://www.judybolton.com/) and I was even able to co-write and self-publish a new Judy Bolton mystery (THE TALKING SNOWMAN) with Margaret before she died at age 98. (The original Judy Bolton series is being reprinted and already listed on Amazon...yay!).


Are you working on something right now?

I just finished writing the 2nd book in my new, DEAD GIRL trilogy: DEAD GIRL DANCING. This series is like Quantum Leap meets Touched by an Angel -- set in high school. It's serious, mysterious and humorous. The first book, DEAD GIRL WALKING, comes out in September; covers & excerpt available at http://www.lindajoysingleton.com/


Have you ever refrained from writing about a certain topic for fear of how others would react to it?

Not that I can think of. I write paranormal topics, which believers may consider true and non-believers will consider fiction. The viewpoints in my books come from my characters, not my own personal opinions.

Who’s your favorite author?

Too many favorite authors, but for vintage books my favorite remains Margaret Sutton. For newer books (as cliche as it may be) my favorite is J.K. Rowling. I think her books are truly magic.

Your favorite book?

Again, too many, but I'll list a few: City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau, Magyk by Angie Sage, Island of the Aunts by Ibbotson, Poison Study by Maria V. Synder and a new fantasy titled Savvy by Ingrid Law.

Is there something that I didn’t ask that you wish I had?

Well I can talk a little about writing, how it's so important to me but hard work, too. I write almost every day and show up at my computer the way a 8-5 employee shows at a normal job. I love writing about kids where everything is new, exciting and magical. People who read can't help but be more empathetic to others because reading offers a window into someone else's problems. I believe that books can make the world a better place. Words, emotions, ideas are powerful. Besides, it's just plain fun to read (g).

Thanks so much, Linda!



Quote of the Day:


It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live...
-- J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone

1 comments:

Krysten Lindsay Hager said...

Great interview. I love the part about looking at it as every other job putting the hrs. in--so true!